Monday, May 19, 2014

Well! Aren't We Just So Spiritual

It has become a popular buzz-word like phrase to say: I am a spiritual person not a religious person. When I first heard it I liked the phrase  because the real definition of religion means what we do regularly, and spiritual spoke to me of being a person led by the spirit of God. Sadly, it soon became clear to me that what people really meant was some kind of private warm-fuzzy emotions associated with supernatural events and religious cultures. There is nothing wrong with that except that it really obfuscates (confuses) the subject. (I couldn’t leave that one alone). 

When I said that I was a spiritual person, what I meant was that I was living my life by the Spirit of God rather than something else (religious practice, carnality, etc). The concept of being spiritual meant that I was trying to live my life so that I would be full of love, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self control. These are what the Bible call the evidence of being spiritual or the fruit of the Spirit. The list does not sound very supernatural but the evidence does speak for itself. If you live like that no one will be surprised to find out that you are a spiritual person even if you never talk about supernatural beings or events. 


So what evidence do those around you see of your being a spiritual person? 

No comments:

Post a Comment