Monday, May 5, 2014

Pan Theology

They just released new statistics that our economy was flat for the first quarter of 2014, and that sent the media into a frenzy. Whose fault is it? Is it the president? Is it congress? Should we blame the Republicans or the Democrats? People are wringing their hands and wondering, what is going to happen to us. Maybe you are one of them. It didn’t take long until the questions started about the end times, the end of the world, and what my view is about them. Actually, I am a bit of a “pan” theologian on the end times. I am convinced that it will all “pan-out” at the end. 

You see, even if Jesus does come back tomorrow I do not even know if I am going to make it to tomorrow. My appointment with Jesus could be today. So I have never put much stock in worrying about the end. Matthew 6.34 says, “Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.” Worry is like borrowing trouble. So I decided to stop worrying and do what I knew I was supposed to be doing. When Jesus returns I want him to find me doing is being faithful to my wife, faithful to do my job, faithful to share Christ with my neighbors. I want to be found being faithful. So I try everyday to live in such a way that it does not matter if Jesus comes back today, tomorrow, or in twenty years .My responsibility is to be faithful. Then it wont really matter when he returns. Every picture in the Bible of the final judgment depicts a scene where people are measured by what they do, rather than by what they say they believe. Granted what they have done has grown out of a response to what they believed, but the concern is always that they be found faithfully doing what they were told to do. 

My challenge to you this week, is that you can articulate a great faith by living a great faith, so that whenever you live your last day on the earth that the Father might say to you, Well done, good and faithful servant.  

No comments:

Post a Comment