Tuesday, September 4, 2018

From the VCC newsletter on 8-6-2018: Encountering God in Worship

As a child I remember going to mass, sometimes at 6:00 am for the a-capella mass in Latin. My dad had to learn Latin so we were forced to learn it as well. (For which I am actually grateful now.) My mother preferred the high mass with full choir and pipe organ; so did I. Even as a child I was aware of the many styles of worship. I went with my neighborhood friends to a Baptist VBS, cub scouts at the Mormon church, and attended a church in Canada that used guitars. So I knew there were a lot of ideas about how to meet God. I enjoyed the high quality music of high mass at St. Patrick’s.  However, in my teen years, when we moved from El Paso to Midland, Texas, I sensed the presence of the Lord in worship for the first time. I still remember the song, On Eagles’ Wings by Josh Groban. It was beautiful. For days I sang that song, and I even volunteered to go to church the next week because I wanted to experience worship like that again. For many weeks I searched of that connection.  Eventually it faded back into “just church,” and I lost interest. My friend attended a charismatic church he thought had cool music. It was weird for me, as a Roman Catholic, but not terrible. Still, I did not sense the presence of the Holy Spirit as many others did that day.

Years later, long after I made my commitment to Christ and became a pastor, I still wondered about the sense of God’s presence I felt for those few short weeks in St. Anne’s in Midland, Texas.  It wasn’t until I met a man named Dennis Jernigan who led us into the presence of God on a Friday night of worship at a local church. It forever changed my life and set me on a course of study about worship and the presence of God. Like my On Eagles’ Wings experience he was an anointed worship leader, full of the Holy Spirit, singing a simple song.  I wondered how I could continually enter into this encounter with God. Was it about the worship leader? Did it require certain songs? How do I experience God in worship?

I certainly believe the worship leader matters and the songs matter, but even more important than either is the worshiper’s heart, readiness, willingness, and relationship with God. While it is possible to get caught up in a wave of other people’s spirit-filled worship, nothing can quench your encounter with the Holy Spirit like distraction, tiredness, anger, or worse yet, your own sin. For many years it has been my practice to get to bed early on Saturday night so I could enjoy worship. Most people assume it's because it is a work day for me, but this is a huge miss. My goal is to encounter God on Sunday morning. I want to be in his presence wholey. I want to sense the Holy Spirit’s power, follow his lead, hear his voice, and most importantly, support those around me being drawn into his presence, experiencing the overflow of my worship.

When it comes to worship, the best way to encounter God is for you to come rested, undistracted, focused on meeting him, and determined to minister to one another. That last part is probably the most important. The reason a great worship leader makes a difference is not just through anointing but by desiring others to enter in. The best way for you to have a great worship experience is to do the same. Come prepared for the sake of others.

Next week, we will continue with part two of how to experience God in worship.  

No comments:

Post a Comment