Wednesday, August 29, 2018

From the VCC newsletter 6-25-2018: Worship Service?

6-25-2018


As we continue this series on worship, today I want to  look at the Hebrew word abad and the Greek word latreuo. Abad is translated as latreuo in the Greek version of the Old Testament, known as the Septuagint or LXX.  The word latreuo appears in the New Testament twenty-one times.


These two words are mostly translated into English as serve or service and secondly as worship, in certain contexts. The Hebrew word is used to explain what a priest does at the altar in the Temple and Tabernacle sacrifices. We see this best in the New Testament when we read in Romans 12.1: “I appeal to you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship.” While the ESV translators tried very hard to translate the meaning of the text, a more literal translation would say “this is our service of worship” rather than “spiritual worship.” What they wanted to convey is that we do not cut up animals or sprinkle blood in our worship, but like a priest, we offer to God our worship, which is a spiritual rather than literal sacrifice. Still the imagery is meant to convey our worship (regardless of form: song, giving, etc) is no less authentic in sacrifice. Or at least it shouldn't be . . .


I am big on the idea that everyone is unique and an offer of praise to God must come from the heart. But I also believe it should take us out of our comfort zones. Real worship has an element of sacrifice which steps-up and gives to God what is due him, not just what we enjoy or prefer. Sometimes this means I step out of my comfort zone in worship. Sometimes I sing songs that stretch my belief.  Sometimes I express my worship in ways that are uncomfortable. There was a time God had me dance with all my might before the Lord as David did. Men don’t usually dance in our culture as an expression of worship. It was uncomfortable for me. Please hear me: I am not asking everyone to dance, only God can do that. My point is we offer, we sacrifice, we serve God in worship, not just our appetites or preferences. It means I sing out not because my voice is beautiful (as it says in Psalm 98.4 to make a joyful noise), but because my heart is full of his goodness, kindness, and joy.


Next week we'll take a look at the word proskeneo.

No comments:

Post a Comment