Wednesday, November 8, 2017

A GRATEFUL HEART

It's been awhile since I wrote my last post. That post on was on July 2; a few days later, on July 9, my world was rocked hard by the death of my son, Joel. As I have emerged from the shadows of the valley of death, I have seen God walk me through my fears, through the evil surrounding me, and prepare a table for me in the presence of my enemies (Psalm 23).  Here now, as we come upon the feast of Thanksgiving, I am reminded of how much I have to be grateful for, in spite of this year’s losses.

In the past year I have lost my father-in-law, who I loved very much. Then I lost two dear friends in January, one to cancer and the other to suicide. Then just as the year seemed to take an upswing--crash--my son committed suicide. We were very close.  Our family was tightly knit, so then how did I not see it coming? Why didn't he talk to us? I will never be able to answer those questions . . . and so goes more loss.

Yet, this I know, I still have an amazing family. I love my children! I love my mom, step-dad, mother-in-law, brothers-in-law, etc. They are the best of family. Just weeks before Joel died my oldest daughter got married to a great guy. I really love him. He takes good care of her, and he loves our family. His family is also a great blessing, and they have been very supportive. Also we have another grandchild on the way.  But above all else, I have a loving wife who I get to share this life with.

I also have many, many friends who have stood by me in the most devastating moment of my life. They did not run away, but instead, ran to my side. Some of them came from great distances to uplift  and care for us. Some of them live here in town, and they are still helping me day-by-day. They listen. They don't try to solve my hurt (they cannot); they don't try to say something meaningful (neither should you); they just sit and listen, and then they pray for me. They invite us to dinner. They do little things to remind us  we are loved.

I have enjoyed some very special times with my friends and family. I have enjoyed the pleasant weather of Florida. I have been to the mountains of North Carolina  and twice driven from coast to coast this year. I have been to my hometown, El Paso, Texas, to eat tacos and hug friends. I have been on a sailboat in the Pacific Ocean and fished quiet lakes in Florida.  I turned 50 this year, and I am in good health, enough to run a few 5k races. I have a beautiful home; I enjoy exotic foods, and I can even afford to buy some. I have transportation, AC, and I can go on, and on, and on.

This Sunday I am beginning a series of messages on  A Grateful Heart. Just writing about this makes my heart lighter. I’m excited.  Just sharing these thoughts breaks through the cloud of darkness and ushers in the light of hope. I am grateful!

The best part of it all? God has never let me down. Some are surprised that I can say that. They are thinking about my son's suicide. Joel was an amazing young man. I loved his sense of humor; I miss his hugs. I enjoyed some very special times with him. I also lived through a few of his bad decisions, and he lived through some of mine. When I made them, and he suffered, I asked him for forgiveness.  He gave it to me. Likewise, I had to forgive my son many times over. I always taught my kids  they have to own their “stuff,” their decisions and actions It's not someone else's fault when they do wrong, and, it is not God's fault.  It certainly wasn’t God’s fault that Joel made a bad decision that cost him his life. I cannot be disappointed with God over Joel's decision. So I say again, God has never let me down, not even in my second darkest hour. (My darkest hour was when I was lost in sin and without hope.)

Every day, I am so grateful God sent his son, Jesus Christ, to rescue me in my darkest hour, and that he comforts me in every dark hour since.

Happy Thanksgiving!

12 comments:

  1. A very blessed Thanksgiving to you and your beautiful family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Inspiring post, Hal. Finding joy in the midst of darkness and grief. May you continue to cling to God's goodness through this walk. Thank you for sharing. We love you all so very much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When you focus on all we have to be grateful for it's hard to be sad. The World is full of negative news, happenings and events yet when you have the discipline to be quite and thank God just as you did here, it doesn't take long to see all the good and positive. God bless your family and you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad that God had us crossing paths, to have met you and gotten to know you. You are missed and your family thought of and loved during these upcoming holidays and always!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post Hal. I think about you and your family all the time. Miss and love you brother.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for this post Hal I miss you and your family maybe someday I will get down that way again and we can catch up or if you come this way let me know I would love to see you my friend Blessings to you and your family this holiday season.

    Matt Powers

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hal: Thanks for your post called A Grateful Heart. Just want you and the rest of your family that Rebecca and I are still thinking of you and your family and are keeping you all in our thoughts and prayers; even though we are not physically there to give out lots of hugs of God's Love we still consider you and your family as brothers and sisters in Christ.

    Timothy and Rebecca Monroe from Muskegon, Michigan.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautifully stated, thank you so much for sharing, caring and loving. You bless my life and for that, among all the other blessings bestowed upon my life, I'm grateful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hal, thank-you for writing this. I knew your son died but wasn't sure how. I suspected suicide, given his age and health, but that's something too often we'd like to ignore, and I'm glad to read that you shared this (and most definitely sad, of course, for the event itself). Your message here is wonderful. Thanksgiving is probably my favorite holiday; there is so much to give thanks for (and I hate Black Friday, as an aside—our national day of pure greed). I hope that our paths will cross again some day. I suspect you're an excellent pastor. If you're ever in Rochester, NY, please do pay me a visit. I'd love to catch up.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We build the highest walls around our deepest hurts. Continued prayers for you and yours; find peace and resolve in the shelter of the Rock.

    ReplyDelete